5.05.2006

new habits...

It's my birthday month, and I am attempting some new habits. My goal is to starting getting up earlier to carve out some time for my well-being; weed patrol, biking, journaling and taking daily photos with my digital camera. In the near future, I'll add meditation to the list. For now, I'll start with blog journaling and biking. The weed patrol must go on despite my grumblings. The effects of the yard is quite stunning after a good bit of work.

As for exercise, today I picked up my bicycle from the shop and had my first true ride in over 3 years.  It was exhilarating, though I did not fail to notice the change in my body due to lack of exercise. My tight, older muscles wouldn't stop me from experiencing the thrill of leaning a little extra into my turns, riding hands-free where-ever possible and closing my eyes to *really* feel the wind in my face. Biking is now a re-discovered joy that I'd been missing for a while now. I think I'll sleep well tonight. Actually, today's ride takes me back to when I first learned to ride. As many of my friends know, I'm a bit of a late-bloomer. I'll admit to the world right now that I was wearing training wheels well into age 11, but in my defense, I grew up in many different neighborhoods and did not even get on a bike by myself until I was 8 or 9. At that age, I got my own bike. It was yellow and had a banana seat with streamers on the handles and tall flag on the back.  Oh I thought I was the shit, despite my thick glasses! LOL!!!

Which reminds me; Watching spring bloom in our backyard has allowed me to truly appreciate the clarity of the Lasik eye operation I received in 2004.  The world is now crystal-clear and gorgeous without the need for glasses or contacts! Amazingly, I missed nature's beauty until this year. I'd been occupied with keeping depression at bay by staying *extremely* busy in my work world. By doing so, I dulled my perception of everything. Through the haze and craze of a downtown urban environment, I'd missed the true clarity my new eyes have brought me--until now. I am thankful.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds good, i need to do the same.